Thursday, April 27, 2023

A bad bad week

We left you last while we were at the Aux Arc Park in Ozark Arkansas.

Since then we have continued our travels east.   Everything was going perfectly to plan and we arrived at Schodack Island State Park, near Albany, NY which was our last stop prior to storing the bus.

Last Saturday, April 22 we brought the dogs to the Vet in Pittsfield, Mass to start thier heath certificates.

It was beginning to look like we were actually going to make it....

That the 4th time would be the charm and we would be boarding the Queen Mary2 this coming Sunday - April 30.

On Sunday morning, April 23rd I started to get some info that was causing concerns.   The QM2 had rushed into Southampton for needed engine repairs and its departure from the UK was going to be delayed.

Within a few hours I had confirmation that our departure from NY was cancelled.   Our transportation to the UK was non existent.

I had some plan b alternatives penciled out so I went ot work and by Monday morning I had booked one-way tickets for May 11 on La Compagnie Airlines.   An  boutique French Carrier that flies business class only flights -  that allows dogs up to 33lbs to travel with us in the cabin.    We would have to travel to Orly Paris, but I could work around that and we'd pick up our itinerary at our second planned stop in London.

We would then continue with our plans and take the QM2 back to the states in late September.

While all of was going on, Gracies health, already on a downward trajectory, started going downhill at an increased rate.  Without going into all of the details - we made the painful decision to do the best thing for her and had her put down on April 25.  She was 15yrs, 1 week, and 1 day old.    It also happened to be 15 yrs to the day that we lost our Old English Sheepdog Bentley.

We took her to the vet in Saratoga Springs that was the first vet she visited when she was a puppy.   So in a way this was sort of closing the circle.

So you can see why I titled this post as I did.

We are still moving ahead.    We will make the trip with Lucy.    

We have some extra time to kill here in NY so we will store the bus as planned tomorrow and them do a mixture of AirBnb's and stays with friends before we head down to Newark on May 10 for our May 11 flight.

This 2 week or so delay will give us just a little time to help this open wound to heal a bit.   I know time will make it better.  I just hope that time comes soon because our hearts are broken.


Gracie at 7 mos old



14 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to read about your loss of Gracie. It's never easy and you will love and miss her forever. My week has been a total whirlwind as well but it looks like FINALLY Dazzle the Cavalier and I will be in the UK on Saturday. Here's really hoping our return voyages are not cancelled...I'm on the Aug 11 Westbound. So sorry I won't get to meet you two. Sending huge hugs on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words ! Love you Guys. Look forward to seeing you in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no no nooooooooo!!!! I am heart broken!!!!! I love love love your dogs, and Gracie and I were in love!! I am heartbroken and tears flowing.... God bless you all. She brought lots of joy to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bad, bad week indeed! All I can give you are heartfelt super big virtual hugs. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear the news about Gracie. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about Gracie. It's so hard to loose such a precious member of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, geez. SO sorry to hear about Gracie. You loved her more than she ever dreamed anyone could. And God saw every moment of it. May God bless and keep the three of you on your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry. It is always hard to lose a best friend. Hugs, Ken and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know I have had to make the decision also. As stated they tell us when it is time. Rainbow bridge. Prayers for all. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so sorry to hear about Gracie. She had a great adventurous life. Know you are missing her. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. We’re sorry to hear about Gracie. She was a great traveling companion. We hope that the rest of your trip will be without glitches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greg, change our email to mklocati@gmail.com. At Jim and Kristi’s for the next few days so got your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greg and Kate, I am so sorry to hear about Gracie! You two are the best dog parents, so I know Gracie had a wonderful life with you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Love you both! Margie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been thinking of you both, at a loss for words in the face of your great loss. All dogs should so loved as Gracie! Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you... Please leave us a comment and let us know you are reading. If there is something that you'd like to hear about please let us know. Thanks for visiting!