Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We are currently camped at Stone Mountain State Park in NC. Kate is playing a fireplace dvd on the TV and I'm sipping my morning cup of home roasted Java.

Getting here was a 6 hr ride here thru varying states of leaf color.  Starting out at the coast we were in high color and by the time that we arrived here at 1,900' the leaves were all gone.  The photo below was a stop that we made to pick up some barbeque for last nights dinner.  The trees were so pretty that I had to take a picture.



The campground itself is not exactly the prettiest that we've been to but our site is backed up to a Rhododendron forest.  I would imagine that in the spring it would be quite spectacular.  Reminds me of camping in Oregon.   We did have a wonderful sunset however.  By the time I got around to snapping a shot it had diminished somewhat.



We are only a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mayberry so tomorrow we will do some exploring.  Today I think it will be couch potatoes, movies, and of course......  Dinner.

As for the holiday feast - Kate and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner on Tuesday and immediately shrink wrapped and refrigerated everything so today we will have the full meal deal.

We will stay here tomorrow then on Saturday we are headed to Jordan Lake State Park not far from Raleigh.  It is 3 hrs closer to home and supposed to be beautiful.  We reserved a site right on the lake.  Should be nice.

It's actually surprising how many people are here.  I would guess there are at least 15 or so families camping for the holiday.  So much for having the place to ourselves.  We are gonna have to go back to Granite Creek in Wyoming for that effect.




Till then let me just say that I'm thankful for the love of my life - my great wife Kate, our 2 little Doodles, great friends and a wonderful life.  I'm a lucky guy and I couldn't ask for more.

Aufwiedersehen for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you... Please leave us a comment and let us know you are reading. If there is something that you'd like to hear about please let us know. Thanks for visiting!